In last Saturday’s GA, we endorsed some upcoming events, some of which have already happened:
With new leadership in the House of Representatives, United Action by the RI Mobilization Against Poverty — a coalition of the poor, the unemployed, and and the working people living in poverty who have had their fill of budget cuts, unemployment, and low wages — will have their first rally at the State House on April 2nd.
Inspired by the ‘Moral Mondays’ campaign in North Carolina, Martin Luther King’s “Poor Peoples Campaign and FDR’s New Deal calling for an Economic Bill of Rights that includes a living wage as called for by A Phillip Randolf (which would be $15 in today’s dollars), they will be ‘front & center’ in the RI Statehouse because Economic Justice must be ‘front & center’ on the agenda of all local, state and national officials.
April 2nd Wednesday at 4:30pm — endorsed by Occupy Providence
Rhode Island State House Rotunda
April 2, 2014: New RI Anti-Poverty Mobilization — video of genesis
3/1/2014 General Assembly
- Urban league discussed and ideas of a coalition of progressives to take over, repair and continue services tentatively considered.The National Lawyers Guild is having an event to honor progressive women Lawyers and our Layer Miriam is speaking. Wed. 6pm Prov. (see prev. email).
- The ACLU has some civil libeties bills coming up on Tuesday re: surveillance of license plates, drones etc. ACLU bills on:
- expunging misdemeanors from criminal records 10 years later
- restricting drones, warrants for cellphone search
- restricting cellphone location tracking
- restricting GPS bugs placed on cars
- social media privacy for students and employees
We endorse this.
- RI civil rights roundtable is deciding what bills that they’ll favor. The racial profiling bill not final, waiting for updates.
- The Providence Student Union has said that if we find a social justice space that they’re very interested.
2/1/2014 General Assembly
- The KasamaProject.org works are to be discussed. TBA, some Occupiers are to be involved.
- A homeless action to honor the memory of John Joyce is in the works, meeting, rally, march. Occupy Providence has ideas to contact the people involved in the Utah solution to homelesness. Also see this site. Search for speakers in progress; RSVP with thoughts, ideas and interests.
- OWS has invited Occupy Providence to Nat Gat, 2014, Sacramento CA.Date will be confirmed by 1/14/2014. Racial profiling is an ongoing issue, some activist have been talking with police to create a bill against profiling. There will be a meeting at Mount Hope Neighborhood Association., 5:30 pm on Monday. This is the coalition against racial profiling. Occupy GA endorsed these efforts.
- Ray Watson wants people to write letters to the Chair of the board of the Urban league.
More details are here.
- There will be a Rally Against Surveillance Tuesday 2/11 @ 1pm The Federal Bldg. Kennedy Plaza, Downcity Providence.
There may be a rescheduled if there is snow. It’s “The Day We Fight Back” national action. Remember Aaron Swartz. Enndorsed by Occupy Providence.
- Next GA will be at Rochambeau Branch Library 2/8/2014 at 11:30am prior to the RI Coalition to Defend Human and Civil Rights at noon and “Dirty Wars” a film/documentary by Jeremy Scahill and same location.