1/18/2014 & 1/25/2014 General Assembly
1/4/2014 General Assembly
- Contact with Urban Greens sought asap re: Jan meeting and agenda regarding hard space for social justice.
- State House back in session, Tue. 7th. The 38 studios debacle is still in the works, we’re not done yet.
- Mariah has an idea for a homlessness protest at the State House, TBA.
- Emanuel House now usually closed during the day, except for snowstorms: Emmanuel House Homeless Shelter to Remain Open during Severe Winter Weather
- The sale of the Urban league building on Prairie Ave with the homeless shelter appears to have gone through, unfortunately.
- Occupy Community meeting discussed ostensibly for Jan 25 @ Rochambeau library, TBA.
- Jim’s thinking to combine alliance for colaborating on shared goals in a coordinated effort including a hard meeting space for all.
- Our Solstice celebration took place at Seven Arrows Farm! Thanks to all who attended, contributed so generously andLiandra’s good works!
- Justin offered the following link and is interested that 2014 is shaping up as a year of big action. Occupy’s Precarious Pluralism Report
12/13/2013 General Assembly
- Some of us will go to a meeting on surveillance at Sen. Whitehouse’s office, organized by Demand Progress.
- Artemis (Mama Dreads) may be coming back to RI for a little while, though plans aren’t certain.
- Is Emmanuel House still operating the homeless day shelter that OP called for in 2012? We should protest if the day shelter is closed. Lia will check if it’s still open.
- We discuss the Urban League of RI controversy. Their finances seem to have been mismanaged, and they racked up over $2 million in debt without the revenue to pay it off. To meet the debt, they want to sell their Prairie Ave building complex to a developer. This building,which currently houses a homeless shelter and other services, was a gift from the city, and the Urban League is not allowed to sell it without city permission.The Urban League is asking the city for permission to sell off this building to a developer, which could endanger the homeless shelter. Should we oppose the sale? Lia will talk to Ray Watson about this.
- We want to have a Christmas get-together on next Saturday evening, the 21st. Trying to find a good location. Randall’s current apartment is too small. Lia and Terry will look into locations outside of Providence, we can organize carpools there. Potluck.
- Last week’s GA was pretty brief, and discussed things that are included in today’s notes.
11/30/2013 General Assembly
- Keeping the pressure on Walmart withanother protest, or protesting othercompanies.
- Protesting the fact that Kennedy Plaza’s waiting room closes at 7pm — riders should have an indoor place to stay, especially in the winter. We will talk to Ripta Riders Alliance about this.
- We want to talk with Urban Greens about partnering with them on an indoor community space, waiting for them to get back to us.
- We may have an Occupy Christmas celebration later this month.
Notes by Randall — comments welcome.