Join Occupy Providence in a 48-hour open occupation near
the Verizon building on Empire Street, Saturday through Monday
of Labor Day weekend, leading into Jobs with Justice’s Labor
Day march at 12noon Monday.
An occupation open to all people of good will. We won’t stop advancing the rights of the 99%, and Labor Day is a great time.
We will protest the Verizon CEO’s efforts to cut jobs and squeeze more money from the 99%. We’ll stand against politicians’ efforts to commit more taxpayer money to pay the bankrupt 38 Studios’ Wall Street debt. And our occupation will end just in time to join Jobs with Justice’s Labor Day march, 12noon Monday Sept. 3, from Brown University to the financial district.
Some of our issues:
1) Workers are facing freezing or ending pensions, while pensions for the 1% have soared higher than ever. CEOs like Verizon’s threaten to end job security for their employees, eliminate the two-day weekend, and set new policies with no limits on outsourcing jobs overseas. At the same time, Verizon overcharges its cellphone customers. Many workers are ready to strike over these issues. They need community support to help them realize the strength they have.
2) While cuts are being made to social programs across the city, Brown University is paying a disproportionately small amount in taxes, especially considering the vast amount of property that it owns. A highly lucrative university is being favored over many other areas of the community, including people who work hard to make our city and state economy work.
3) The state of RI has favored supporting millionaire Curt Schilling’s business disaster over creating stable jobs for individuals within RI. We will fight state leaders who’ve offered to use taxpayer money to pay 38 Studios’ leftover Wall Street debt. The money should go to services for the 99% like transportation and education, not for another Wall Street bailout. 38 Studios was the 1%’s fault, and its bankruptcy doesn’t leave taxpayers with any obligation to step in.
4) Occupy Providence is also taking a stand against the mistreatment and discrimination of immigrants in the city and nationally. No human is illegal!
2pm- Move in march! Rally in Burnside park and march through the city to the Verizon building. March, banner drop, and pickets along the way!
4pm – General Assembly outside Verizon with people’s soap box.
6pm – community time
11am – Working Group meetings
1pm – March to Brown to protest tax inequality BROWN UNIVERSITY PAY YOUR SHARE! Outreach to Brown, promotion of Labor Day march, chalk action throughout city.
3pm – Teach in
4pm – General Assembly
8pm – Art, music and culture time
11am- March up to Brown to get to Labor Day rally early.
12pm – Join Jobs with Justice’s Labor Day march from Brown’s Main Green to the Financial District
Meet after the march, time TBA
Other events and teach-in speakers TBA
RI politicians have favored the rich over the needy, and CEOs have favored profits over people. We have no future unless the 99% stand up. We need your help. On Saturday September 1, join the occupation outside Verizon!
- Facebook event page for OP’s 48-hour occupation, Sep 1-3: http://www.facebook.com/events/335190899904892/
- Facebook event page for Jobs with Justice’s Labor Day march, Mon Sep 3: https://www.facebook.com/events/274434885996633/