All Occupy Providence decision-making is conducted in-person at our general assemblies, but it’s supplemented with a robust, very high-volume online discussion group. Anyone is welcome to join this group—you can choose to receive every email, a daily digest of email, or no email & just view it as a forum online—but we ask that you follow these guidelines when posting. (The link to join is at the bottom of this page.)
NOTE: since anyone can join this list, do not write anything that you would not say directly to a police officer or reporter!
- When replying to an earlier post, please don’t change the subject line *unless* you’re really writing about something else. That is— if you’re answering a question or commenting on an earlier email, keep the subject the same. If you’re bringing up an entirely different matter, please create a new subject line, and you may want to delete all the indented replies in the bottom of your email. Why? Most of us have email programs/websites that use the subject to “thread” replies together, but when you change the subject to add your own commentary, that breaks the threading.
- If you get the digest email, and you want to reply to something brought up in one of the emails, please reply through the web-based forum available here — this will make it easier to figure out which of the dozens of email threads you’re actually replying to! Of course, if you’re bringing up a new idea, just send a new email instead of replying to the digest.
- Please don’t send multiple copies of the same email, in reply to several different threads. We all get all of these emails, and it’s hard enough to keep up as it is, without getting duplicate copies.
- It can sometimes be hard to convey sarcasm, irony, or deeply felt, genuine emotion through an email. We may be better off reserving complex, weighty discussions for when we’re face-to-face at a GA or elsewhere at the occupation.
- To UNSUBSCRIBE from the list, do one of the following:
Send an email to occupy-providence+unsubscribe@
googlegroups.comfrom your email address. (The contents + subject of the email don’t matter.) It’s that easy.Or, if you have a Google account, you can do it yourself at this page — on the bottom right of that page is an Unsubscribe button. If you’d like to still be able to view messages but not receive them via email, you can set it to “No Email” instead of completely unsubscribing.
HERE’S HOW TO JOIN!
To subscribe, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or if you have a Google account, head to https://groups.google.com/group/occupy-providence/subscribe to join.